Schools have the responsibility “to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.” (Department for Education). The government set out its definition of British values in the 2011 Prevent Strategy, and these values were reiterated by the Government in 2014.
At Ramsgate Arts Primary School, we define British Values in the following way:
Democracy - We have a say in the rules
Individual Liberty - We are free to be who we are
The rule of the Law - We follow the same rules to keep everybody safe
Mutual Respect - We treat everybody equally
British Values are explored in the following ways at RAPS:
- Whole school and Key Stage Assemblies throughout the school year
- Curriculum links
- Specialist speakers visiting - e.g. on the subject of Brexit
- Our values weeks start every term. Throughout this learning, we explore the themes associated with British Values: respect, understanding of others, kindness, confidence, rules and expectations.
- Our Junior Leadership Team (JLT) meet regularly.
- We regularly conduct pupil conferencing to gather chidlren's ideas and viewpoints